Vol. 13, No. 3, Jul-Sep 2017
Information for Authors
Authors are required to enclose the following statement, properly signed, with the manuscript at the time of submission.
“In consideration of the Al-Shifa Journal of Ophthalmology’s taking action in reviewing and editing my(our) submission, the author(s) undersigned hereby transfer(s), assign(s), or otherwise convey(s) all copyright ownership to the Al-Shifa Journal of Ophthalmology in the event that such work is published by the Al-Shifa Journal of Ophthalmology”.
Type DOUBLE-SPACE on 8½ x 11- inch white sheets, leaving ONE INCH margin on ALL SIDES. Arrange contents as follows:
- TITLE PAGE should be numbered as page 1,and should have on it only(a) the title,(b) name(s) of author(s), (c) the institution(s), (d) address for reprints and inquiries, and (e) the name(s) of sponsoring organization(s)- NOTHING ELSE.
- ABSTRACT should be the only material on page 2. It should be no more than 250 words. Give here the author’s OWN exact data, amount, percentages, etc, as presented in the paper and the conclusions drawn there from. Use “active voice” in writing.
- TEXT of the articles should be divided in sections of: (A) INTRODUCTION, (B) PARTICIPANTS AND METHODOLOGY (or CASE REPORT(S) and (C) DISCUSSION. Write the whole paper in “active voice” and avoid “passive voice”.
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Keep these to an absolute minimum, and be specific, e.g., “thanks are due to Mr. …for Fig.2”.
- REFERENCES should be consecutively cited in the body of the paper, and listed at the end in the same order. Each listed reference must give full title of the paper or book and the names of ALL the authors and don’t use ‘et al’. Adhere to the following style in typing them.
FOR ARTICLES: 1. Afghani T, Qureshi N, Chaudhry KSA. Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy: a comparative study between hospital and community based screening and between paying and non-paying. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad, 2007, 19; 16-22
2. Cochereau I, Goldschmidt P, Goepogui A, Afghani T, Delval L, Pouliquen P, Bourcier T, Robert PY. Efficacy and safety of short duration azithromycin eye drops versus azithromycin single oral dose for the treatment of trachoma in children - a randomised, controlled, double-masked clinical trial. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 May;91:667-672
(Reconfirm the spelling of names, Vol. pages, year, title, etc).
- Newell FW: Ophthalmology: Principles and Concepts. 6th ed., St. Louis.C.V. Mosby Company, 1986, p.73.
- Duke- Elder S, and Leigh AG: Diseases of the Outer Eye. Cornea and Sclera. In Duke-Elder S (ed): System of Ophthalmology, Vol. 8, Part 2. St. Louis C.V. Mosby Company, 1965, pp.110-114.
(Recheck publisher, City, etc.).
FOR CITING FROM INTERNET SOURCES
Step 1: Name the author, last name first. If no author is listed, then skip this Step.
Step 2: Put the title of the work next. This is not the title of the website but the title of the page within the website that you are accessing. Put this information in quotation marks.
Step 3: Place the title of the overall website next and underline it. Look at the web address or find the link to the homepage in order to find the title.
Step 4: List the publication information. Most articles (or web pages) have a “last updated” date if you can’t find an actual date for the specific article you are quoting.
Step 5: Include the date of access. This is the date you accessed the Internet source.
Step 6: Place the URL (the website address) at the end of the citation. Copy and paste the URL so that you ensure you have it down accurately.
Step 7: Check your Internet citation for accuracy. The final Internet source citation should look like this:
Author or originator. Title of item. Title of website[Online] Date of document or download (day, month, year). URL
U.S. Census Bureau. "American Fact Finder: Facts About My Community." [Online] 17 Aug 2001. .
6. FIGURES should be numbered in order of appearance in the text. Each figure should have pasted on its back a label with (1) figure’s number, (2) the last names of authors, and (3) an arrow indicating the top of the figure. Nothing else should be written or pasted on the back of the figure or a photograph. Legends of the figure should be typed DOUBLE-SPACED on a SEPARATE SHEET, and should include description of features shown, name of author, name of structures, kind of stain, magnification, etc.
Figure 1 (Haq, Afghani, and Qadir). Right eye. Histologic section of tumor, spindle-B type malignant epithelioid cells at the right upper corner, (Hematoxyline and eosin x 400).
7. TABLES: should be typed DOUBLE-SPACED, with NOTHING underlined TRIPLE-CHECK all numbers and percentages.
Previously published material and figures should include permission to reproduce from original publication and original author. Photographs with faces should be accompanied by permission to publish from the subject of the photograph or by a parent in case of minor. Photographs should be color printed.
THE JOURNAL only accepts manuscripts in ENGLISH
Type EVERY THING double-spaced, and underline nothing. An abbreviated title of four or less words, the last names of the authors and the page number should be provided in the upper right hand corner of all pages. DON’T use abbreviations. DOUBLE-CHECK the number and percentages in tables. Incomplete manuscripts will not be acknowledged, and those received without duplicate will be returned to the authors. Papers will be accepted on the understanding that these are not simultaneously being submitted to any journal or publication, and that these have not been previously published. All papers will be subject to reviews by referees and, if necessary to revisions. THE JOURNAL will also consider for publication, letters, short notes, useful diagnostic and therapeutic tips, announcements, and interesting photographic documentation. However, it should be preferable to send your manuscript in a CD (Word 1997-2003 Document or latest). You may also send a manuscript as attached file of Microsoft word document via e-mail at one of the following addresses: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org with attention to Dr. Tayyab Afghani. Send CD and hard copies of two or more sets of completed manuscripts and figures at the following address: